> Am 04.06.2022 um 12:33 schrieb Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org>:
>
> On Sat, Jun 4 2022 at 12:09:00 PM +0200, Peter Boy <p...@uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>> And split DNS is especially necessary when a server does host libvirt/KVM
>> VMs. In order to address its VMs (e.g. monitoring tools or forwarding
>> services) the host must query the libvirt dnsmasq instance. This is broken
>> since F34/F35 with systemd-resolved. The only reliable way i know of is a
>> second dnsmasq instance, most easily as NM plugin.
>
> Does running dnsmasq alongside systemd-resolved have many advantages over
> just switching to dnsmasq altogether? I would consider that instead.

Well, originally we wanted to configure Fedora Server as close to Fedora
decided defaults as possible. And Fedora decided systemd-resolved to be the
default DNS resolution for F33 and newer.

Because libvirt and systemd-resolved don’t cooperate, you need to use a libvirt
hook to call resolvectl and configure the libvirt virbr0 interface and name
server for the VMs network. As long as that worked, the configuration was as
close to Fedora defaults as possible and it worked nice.

Pre F33 we recommended to use the libvirt provided dnsmasq for the internal
network and to activate NM dnsmasq plugin as an additional instance used by the
host. That instance configuration used the libvirt dnsmasq to resolve the
internal VM network and forwarded everything else to the NM configured external
DNS server (i.e. split DNS). And provides DNS caching.

And now we are back there again and completely disable systemd-resolved.
Therefore I asked for the list of known weaknesses of dnsmasq Peter Mensik
mentioned.

>> Wouldn’t be systemd-resolvd in enabled or disabled state a valid indicator
>> what a sysadmin want’s to use and whether to replace a resolv.conf file by a
>> symbolic link or vice versa?
>
> It's actually the opposite: how you have configured /etc/resolv.conf tells
> NetworkManager how you want to manage DNS, if you have no manual
> NetworkManager configuration specified. But you can edit NetworkManager
> configuration to choose whatever behavior you want. You want dns=dnsmasq:
>
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/DNS

Wasn’t the initial issue that every dnf update replaces the locally configured
resolv.conf file by a symbolic link and so crashes the local configuration? So,
could an update make an replacement dependent on an enabled  and active
systemd-resolved service? Or am I just confusing this with another thread?
(Sorry in that case)

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast