> Am 04.06.2022 um 15:07 schrieb Petr Menšík <pemen...@redhat.com>:
>
> On 04. 06. 22 12:09, Peter Boy wrote:
>> Is there anywhere a kind of a list to said set of problems? Dnsmasq is
>> currently the only tool that provides seamless split DNS in all (or at least
>> very many) circumstances. So I’m going to change our Fedora Server
>> documentation to recommend (and describe) set set up dnsmasq.
> The problem with dnsmasq is it has just single upstream maintainer. Adding
> new features takes time and they are also not well tested. But as its
> maintainer I think it works much better than resolved. But admit it has much
> worse runtime reconfiguration interface, but capable to do what is required

Thanks for the info. I think this is no reason not to continue to recommend
dnsmasq for Server and to refer to it in our documentation accordingly.

>>> And split DNS is especially necessary when a server does host libvirt/KVM
>>> VMs. In order to address its VMs (e.g. monitoring tools or forwarding
>>> services) the host must query the libvirt dnsmasq instance. This is broken
>>> since F34/F35 with systemd-resolved. The only reliable way i know of is a
>>> second dnsmasq instance, most easily as NM plugin.
> I have just started discussion about this topic in our internal tech-list. I
> think there should be common interface for services, which provide any kind
> of network with dynamic dns to integrate subdomain into main host cache.
> Whether you use dnsmasq, unbound, systemd-resolved or knot-resolver, it
> should not matter how well itegrated they can be. If the server has runtime
> reconfiguration ability, there should be common way how it would allow
> subdomain redirection. If you use both podman and libvirt, they should be
> able to access each other via names. But that would be for entirely different
> thread.

A promising idea. I'm curious to read more about it.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast