On Mi, 21.12.22 12:38, Neal Gompa (ngomp...@gmail.com) wrote:

> > sd-boot implements boot counting by stashing the counter inside the
> > UKI (or bootspec type #1 conf file) file name, so that the counter is
> > impossible to ever get lost, pile up or so.
>
> Because the ESP is intended to be shared, and these days /boot is not.
> Unshared boot content should not be in a shared space.

This is wrong on two levels:

1. The boot loader should process all UKIs from all installed OSes,
   hence the UKIs should be dropped in in a *shared* directory, not a
   private directory. It's the idea of the boot loader spec to make
   the drop-in dir shared between Linux OSes.

2. The UEFI spec defines clearly where OSes should put private stuff
   in the ESP if they have any (see https://uefi.org/registry for
   example, fedora is listed there btw). The ESP is very clearly
   defined both in terms for shared resources and for private
   resources.

I am not sure what you intend to put in /boot? If it's UKIs then
please notice that these are a single file per kernel/initrd combo,
and that is inherently placed in a shared dir, you need nothing else
really.

> We can only really have one boot manager, especially with how broken
> multiple ESPs on a system are.

Why would you have multiple ESPs? I don't follow?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin