On 24/11/10 01:41, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:54:47PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> I think the fact that we get less disks accesses (just think noatime and
>> stuff for the files dropped there) is more interesting than using the
>> absolute minimal amount of memory.
>
> Less disk access at startup, or in general somehow? Optimizing for startup
> performance over general performance does not seem so good. But this is
> really about elegance rather than resource usage, right?
>
> Currently, /var/run and /var/lock on my rawhide desktop system take up 364K.
> 385K on another rawhide system. (Blocksize of 4k.) I think we can spare that
> in this day and age if we get a reasonable benefit in return.
>
> Meanwhile, NetworkManager is doing absolutely nothing for me, and is taking
> up a USS of 65.3M. If we're gonna tilt at memory consumption windmills, how
> about we take a look at that one?
>
> (NetworkManager is awesome on my _laptop_, by the way. Wouldn't dream of
> living without it.)

Here is the RAM usage on my 11 day uptime F14 laptop

$ sudo ps_mem.py¹

 Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used       Program

  1.9 MiB + 252.5 KiB =   2.1 MiB       NetworkManager [updated]
  7.0 MiB +   1.6 MiB =   8.6 MiB       nm-applet [updated]

I notice both were updated so restarting gives:

$ sudo ps_mem.py

  1.4 MiB + 290.0 KiB =   1.7 MiB       NetworkManager
  2.6 MiB +   1.3 MiB =   3.9 MiB       nm-applet

[1] http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/ps_mem.py