On Fri, May 12, 2023, 1:03 PM Mattia Verga via devel <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Il 10/05/23 12:54, Aoife Moloney ha scritto:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FlatpaksWithoutModules
> >

> I've never tried to make a flatpak because I was scared by the need of
> firstly build modules and I'm really happy to see this change moving on.
>
> However, there's something I can't understand: AFAIK, a flatpak is
> platform independent, so a flatpak built on F39 can be installed on any
> Fedora version or even on other Linux distributions... right?
> So, why having all those "Fedora Containers" releases in Bodhi which
> follow Fedora branches? Isn't just one Fedora Containers release enough?
> What happens if one builds the same flatpak on multiple Fedora
> Containers releases?
> infrastructure/new_issue
> <https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue>

The "F38 Flatpaks" release in Bodhi represents Flatpaks built with the F38
package set against the F8 runtime. But, yes, as you say we handle Flatpaks
as a single stream. Once we release Firefox into "F39 Flatpaks", everybody
on all releases gets that and we never do an update in "F38 Flatpaks" again.

If updates *do* get pushed on multiple releases, last pushed wins. Might be
useful if we found that we pushed something to early or broken - but isn't
normal.

But what if we had a single release instead?

On a technical level, we rely on separate releases because Bodhi is using
that to know what koji tag to pull from. So to merge them, we'd probably
need a single dest tag in Koji as well. But would it be more convenient and
less confusing for packagers and users? Would there be any performance or
UI problems from having a release in Bodhi that extends indefinitely?

In any case, a change to how we handle Flatpak releases in Koji could be
done separately from this change proposal :-)

- Owen