On 7/12/23 16:34, Jeremy Newton wrote:
I know that I would personally always opt out on principle, and would vote for
opt-in or dropping the proposal. I am under the impression that most Fedora
users are in the same boat as me.

For the record, my personal opinion is that an opt-out is an acceptable option. I believe that Fedora has been hampered in the past by lack of reliable usage stats: we had difficult discussions about support for i686/python2/Qt3/etc where we just didn't know where the Fedora users were. Therefore, I personally think it is a good idea to allow collecting such stats, because I trust Fedora organization to keep such information to itself.

First of all, I just don't see that large data brokers would be interested in Python3 adoption data, and secondly I hope that Fedora organization would have the integrity (and the whistleblowers:) to protect that info even if there was a temptation to let it out.

Regarding the opt-in vs opt-out, someone made a claim that opt-out is not compliant with GDPR, which doesn't sound right. Every GDPR widget I have seen so far essentially asks if I agree with data collection, and offers me an opportunity to opt out of everything but essential cookies, which seems equivalent to the 'opt-out' mechanism that Michael proposes.

One missing piece might be for Fedora organization to commit to a policy of protecting such data collections, by publishing a legally sound declaration about its intentions and practices. Currently, we have this

    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/privacy/

which in my 'not-a-lawyer' view seems to be targeted to the web collection and may be US-centric, so maybe it could use some legal wordsmithing.

Again, all this is my personal opinion.