On Sat, 2023-07-15 at 12:16 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-07-15 at 15:01 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:25:48PM -0400, Przemek Klosowski via devel wrote:
> > > One missing piece might be for Fedora organization to commit to a
> > > policy of protecting such data collections, by publishing a legally
> > > sound declaration about its intentions and practices. Currently, we
> > > have this
> > >
> > >     https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/privacy/
> > >
> > > which in my 'not-a-lawyer' view seems to be targeted to the web
> > > collection and may be US-centric, so maybe it could use some legal
> > > wordsmithing.
> >
> > Should this proposal be accepted, there will be a separate document. And,
> > unrelatedly, the existing privacy statement is in the process of an update
> > -- needs a refresh for legal changes, and there are number of things that it
> > suggests we might do that I think we have no interest in and should drop
> > (like asking for geo coordinates).
>
> The installer does broad geolocation in order to guess the timezone and
> locale, IIRC. grep the anaconda codebase for 'geoip' and you'll find
> the code. It basically hits up https://geoip.fedoraproject.org/city ,
> so you can go there manually and see what data it gets from you.

...of course, it doesn't *store* that information anywhere.

The current policy seems to be written in relation to the account
system...in the current account system you can set your locale and your
timezone, though I don't see anywhere to set any more specific location
than that (I think older versions of FAS might've let you be more
specific).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA