On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 at 11:54, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 11:44 AM Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > * Josh Boyer:

> jakub, mcermak

> life.

> in a mass

> > > Or we could not, and drop i686 completely.
> >
> > If we drop glibc32, we can't build any 32-bit code at all because GCC
> > will no longer support -m32.  In this regardm x86-64 is different than
> > the other Fedora architectures which can target bare metal 32-bit even
> > from 64-bit-only compilers.
> >
> > Are bootloaders fully treated as firmware and no longer built by Fedora?
> > At least the shim package does not come with corresponding source code
> > AFAICS.  But I expect that there are other 32-bit pre-boot packages that
> > we still rebuild.
> >
> > We need to fix this GCC build issue for CentOS 10 eventually, and at
> > that point, we won't need glibc32 anymore.  It's been a constant source
> > of annoyance.
>
> Necessity is the mother of all invention.  If you need this solved by
> CentOS Stream 10, you really want to solve it now and get that
> solution into F39 or F40 at the latest.

As much as I would like to see the i686 problem dealt with finally, I am
not sure what is done with a fundamental change like this after the closing
period for such changes for Fedora 39. [It does lead to a funny problem..
if i686 were to get removed after the mass rebuild because a cascade of
FTBFS or other reasons.. does FESCO need a change proposal :)]

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.