On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 5:02 PM Leon Fauster via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Am 14.11.23 um 22:04 schrieb Christopher:
> > On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Thing is, when manually installing RPMs that don't come from a
> >> repository, 98% of the time they are not expected to be signed by a GPG
> >> key that you have installed, so the check is expected to fail.
> >
> > The failure indicates that the source and integrity of the RPM is
> > uncertain. The fact that the user is expected to make a conscious
> > decision to bypass it when they want to accept that risk, but to be
> > stopped if they don't want to accept that risk, is the whole point.
> > So, yes, the check is expected to fail under those circumstances.
> >
> > As for how common those circumstances are, I just surveyed my Fedora
> > systems, and 100% of the RPMs I've manually installed, including some
> > pertaining to Slack, Docker, Chrome, Jenkins, and InfluxDB, as well as
> > my own that I've built, all are signed. In my personal experience,
> > it's rare to come across an unsigned RPM. You may have a different
> > experience, but the frequency isn't the point... the point is to
> > provide protection by default and user choice to override and accept
> > the risks. Right now, we have acceptance of risk by default instead of
> > protection.
> >
> >> GPG check is just not the right thing to do in this case.
> >
> > I disagree. I think it *is* the right thing to do to check, and offer
> > the option to skip the check. That gives users the choice to be
> > insecure if they want, but leaves the default secure.
> >
> >> If we enable GPG checking when not appropriate,
> >
> > I disagree that the failure implies that GPG checking isn't
> > appropriate. I think the fact that an un-bypassed check failed, in
> > response to an RPM from an unknown or untrusted source, is very
> > appropriate. The only time it would not be appropriate, in my opinion,
> > is if the user chose to bypass it.
> >
> >> ***we will train users to reflexively ignore GPG errors.***
> >
> > So, your position is: "don't train users to ignore GPG errors... we'll
> > ignore them for you" ?!?!
> >
> > First, I don't agree that this will happen. I think it's more likely
> > that users who are lax with security will continue to be lax with
> > security, and users who aren't will pay attention to the failures and
> > use that as a signal to inform their acceptance of the risks. But
> > second, even if you're right, the worst case scenario here is the
> > scenario we already have as the default: the check being ignored by
> > the user is nearly the same as the check not being performed at all,
> > which is what's happening today. If you're concerned that GPG errors
> > will be ignored, I don't understand why you're not concerned with the
> > fact that the only reason why users aren't seeing those errors today
> > is because GPG checks aren't running at all! All the same security
> > risks are still there... including the risks for an invalid or
> > fraudulent signature when it is present on a local RPM, in addition to
> [...]

It is very common for RPMs to be unsigned from various vendors,
because common RPM repository hosting services do not support signed
RPMs. Notably almost everything I ever get from a packagecloud.io
repository only has metadata signing with unsigned packages. This is
also how *all* Debian repositories work. It is very rare for Debian
packages to have debsigs so that they can be independently verified.