Dne 19. 02. 24 v 14:59 Kevin Kofler via devel napsal(a):
Instead of coming up with new aggressive pruning schemes, Copr really needs
to come up with a reasonable amount of storage to satisfy user demands. HDDs
in the multi-TB-range are available for fairly low budgets (extremely low by
the standards of a company like IBM), and it just takes 2 of them to build a
RAID 1 that is safe against data loss. Of course, that means that Copr needs
to stop locking itself into third-party cloud providers that charge
ridiculously high prices for storage.

1) Fedora and Copr are using AWS. We are not locked there as Fedora infrastructure has Ansible playbooks for everything and we can migrate somewhere else in few days. The cost of AWS is very competitive - it costs Fedora $0. Zero dollars! Amazon is sponsoring Fedora this way. And I am really grateful for that.

2) While we still try to optimize the "cost", the maintainability is equally
important now.

We already use RAID. This is RAID configuration of copr-backend:

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] [raid10]
md126 : active raid10 nvme5n1p1[1] nvme0n1p1[2] nvme4n1p1[0] nvme2n1p1[3]
     25769536512 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
     bitmap: 22/192 pages [88KB], 65536KB chunk

md127 : active raid1 nvme1n1p1[1] nvme6n1p1[0]
     16777081856 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
     bitmap: 11/125 pages [44KB], 65536KB chunk

Raid check takes more than week. Backup takes days. We did the training exercise of restore from backup and it took several weeks. We identified places for improvements and get it down to a week. Traversing all repositories to delete old build takes almost a day (and we several times had to work on speed improvements there). Some improvements found the way back to basic tools like createrepo_c.

We can easily create 100TB volume using a RAID. Or even 1PB. But the maintenance would be a hell. And several parts of Copr would be painfully slow. It is like a things in a house. From certain size, moving to bigger house does not improve a situation and makes certain things harder: finding things, cleaning house...

If anyone think that the maintenance of Copr can be done better (I am sure, it can!) - then I want you to invite to join our group.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Manager, Packit and CPT, #brno, #fedora-buildsys