On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM Josh Stone <jist...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Text Log:
> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/meeting_matrix_fedoraproject-org/2024-07-09/fesco.2024-07-09-17.00.log.txt
> HTML Log:
> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/meeting_matrix_fedoraproject-org/2024-07-09/fesco.2024-07-09-17.00.log.html
> Text Minutes:
> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/meeting_matrix_fedoraproject-org/2024-07-09/fesco.2024-07-09-17.00.txt
> HTML Minutes:
> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/meeting_matrix_fedoraproject-org/2024-07-09/fesco.2024-07-09-17.00.html
>
> Meeting summary
> ---------------
> * TOPIC: Init Process (@jistone:fedora.im, 17:00:24)
> * TOPIC: #3231 Update exception request for rust-add-determinism
> (@jistone:fedora.im, 17:06:22)
>     * AGREED: An update exception is explicitly granted to
> rust-add-determinism for Fedora <= 40, but not yet for 41+ (+8, 1, -0)
> (@jistone:fedora.im, 17:28:55)
> * TOPIC: #3232 Change: Mark Fedora KDE AArch64 as Release-Blocking
> (@jistone:fedora.im, 17:29:21)

The discussion revolved around the proposal to designate Fedora KDE
AArch64 disk images as release-blocking for Fedora 41 and potentially
subsequent releases. Here are the key topics discussed and decisions
made:

Proposal Context: The proposal was to elevate Fedora KDE AArch64 disk
images to release-blocking status starting from Fedora 41, with
concerns about the high failure rate of live ISO images.

Failure Rate and Infrastructure: There was acknowledgment of a
significant failure rate (~50%) for live ISO images, prompting plans
to migrate to a more stable build system (Kiwi) for Fedora 42.
Additionally, discussions touched on exploring separate server
infrastructure due to funding and support limitations for automated
testing.

QA and SIG Collaboration: Debate ensued over whether QA resources
could handle the additional testing workload, with a suggestion that
SIGs (Special Interest Groups) should contribute more actively to
testing and bug fixing.

ARM SIG Input: There was a consensus that input from the ARM SIG was
crucial, given the impact on ARM platforms. Concerns were raised about
whether the ARM SIG had the necessary resources and whether they
should be involved in decisions regarding blocking status.

Decision Making Process: The proposal faced some opposition due to
concerns about the practicality and cost-effectiveness of making
changes without adequate resources. Ultimately, a decision was
deferred pending further input from the ARM SIG.

Future Steps: It was agreed to postpone the final decision, gather
input from the ARM SIG, and revisit the proposal in the next meeting
to ensure all stakeholders' concerns are adequately addressed.

In summary, while there was initial support for the proposal to
designate Fedora KDE AArch64 disk images as release-blocking, concerns
about testing resources, infrastructure limitations, and the need for
ARM SIG input led to a decision to delay the final vote and gather
more information before proceeding.

> * TOPIC: #3233 Change: GIMP version 3 (@jistone:fedora.im, 18:00:57)
>     * AGREED: FESCo would like to see the proposal reworked. We also
> require that GIMP v2 must not be present in Fedora 41+ due to python 2
> removal. (+9, 0, -0) (@jistone:fedora.im, 18:06:27)
> * TOPIC: #3234 Change: Replace Nose with Pynose (@jistone:fedora.im,
> 18:07:15)
>     * AGREED: Change: Replace Nose with Pynose (+0, 0, -7)
> (@jistone:fedora.im, 18:18:58)
> * TOPIC: #3238 Change: Nvidia Driver Installation with Secure Boot
> (@jistone:fedora.im, 18:19:22)
>     * LINK:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/-/merge_requests/2034#note_2162304
> (@sgallagh:fedora.im, 18:20:36)

In the discussion regarding FESCO issue #3238 on July 9, 2024, the
main topic centered around enabling Nvidia driver installation with
Secure Boot in Fedora. Here are the key points and decisions made:

Introduction and Background:

The issue was introduced by amoloney, and it aims to address the
challenge of installing Nvidia drivers under Secure Boot in Fedora.

Concerns and Discussions:

Participants expressed concerns about the security implications of
allowing locally stored signing keys, which could potentially
compromise Secure Boot's integrity.
Various approaches and comparisons were made with other distributions
like Ubuntu and openSUSE, which handle similar challenges differently.

Proposed Compromises:

There was a suggestion to improve user experience by making the
process of enabling Nvidia drivers sufficiently cautionary to mitigate
risks.
Discussion included technical challenges such as limitations in UEFI
NVRAM for storing keys and potential vulnerabilities in the update
process.

Decision and Next Steps:

Despite extensive discussion, consensus on a solution was not reached
during the meeting.
It was decided to postpone further discussion to a future meeting due
to time constraints and the complexity of the issue.
Concerns about potential security risks and the need for a robust
solution that doesn't compromise overall system security were
highlighted.

Overall, the meeting focused on the technical and security
implications of the proposed change, with participants leaning towards
caution and further exploration of viable solutions.