On Sun, Jul 14, 2024 at 04:14:03AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> That said, it is not sufficient to reject adding Fedora downstream spyware.
> Fedora also needs a policy that upstream "telemetry" spyware is not allowed
> and needs to be disabled at compile time or patched out. We have several
> packaged applications wanting to "phone home" for this kind of "anonymized
> usage statistics". This should not be allowed in a privacy-concious
> distribution.

I'm not convinced that that's the exact policy we want, but I do agree that
we should have a stated policy. There was some work on a "privacy policy for
the OS" a while ago, but that basically ran aground in the choppy waters of
legal statements -- and I think a similar attempt would run into the same
problems. But, we could have a policy that _isn't_ a legal statement;
basically a packaging guideline.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>