On 7/8/24 14:37, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
Most GNU/Linux users are privacy conscious. This was the main reason for choosing this OS. All this data belongs to them,

Good point, I agree personally, e.g. I whack-a-mole cookie privacy dialogs to 'off', even while having occasional doubts whether it is a wise use of my time.

Having said that, I believe that there is no evidence for what you said next:

and most (including me) don't want to share it with multi-billionaire corporations.

I think 'most' people are concerned about their privacy and personal characteristics, but do not care about incidental data such as those items we're talking about here, especially if there's a good reason being given for their collection. I contend that neither you or I have the actual stats to settle this argument--I'd note that the proposed collection could actually give some data by tracking the ratio of users who agree/disagree to provide their data.

You are absolutely right that "This is our choice and developers must respect it", but I believe that the developers do respect it by providing an 'opt-out'. This is an established practice on pretty much all the websites I've encountered, so apparently it satisfies world-wide legal requirements too. It would satisfy privacy concerns for myself, and presumably for 'most' people like me.