> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:02:42 +0100, KK (Kevin) wrote:
>
>>> Lots of executables end up linked with libpng12 due to other libs (cairo,
>>> gdk-pixbuf2) being linked with it. Neither -lpng12 or -lpng is added
>>> explicitly.
>>
>> Not due to them being LINKED with it, but due to them shipping .pc or .la
>> files (probably .pc, since we normally don't ship .la files in Fedora) which
>> add -lpng12 when you didn't ask for it.
>
> No. If that were the case, -lpng12 would appear on the linker command-line.
> It doesn't.

How are you checking whether your executable ended up linked with
something?  If with ldd, note that it's recursive.  AFAIU for example
"eu-readelf -d /path/to/something | grep NEEDED" shows a better picture
which is also mirrored in package dependencies.

Configuring geeqie with
    %configure --enable-lirc LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed"
...instead of plain %configure --enable-lirc in a F-15 mock test build I
just did from the devel branch dropped the number of shared libs listed
in the eu-readelf command above for /usr/bin/geeqie from 25 to 15, and
libpng* no longer appears in the resulting package's dependencies.