On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 01:09:46 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <methe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/2011 12:01 AM, Bernd Stramm wrote:
> >
> > Call me elitist then, I think it is better when more people can
> > read, and when they actually do it.
>
> Unfortunately for someone talking about so much about the important of
> reading,  you don't seem to be reading about the proposal much. Its
> not limited to screenshots.

I know that, no need to be insulting.

>  Popularity of packages,  reviews,
> suggestions,  list of top apps ...  we are talking a lot of additional
> useful information that will be of benefit to a lot more users.

Yes useful indeed, and a fair bit of advertising information at the
same time. This can be big when used by a lot of packages.

> > If implemented the wrong way, what's wrong with screenshots
> > is bloat.
>
> If implemented wrong, everything can be wrong.  That's just a truism
> and not a useful review of any proposal.

It is useful to point out that the space requirements are significant.

You would want an implementation that does _not_ store all this
information on installed systems.

Separate the advertising part from the packaging part. Make the
advertising part available for users that want to see it, and keep it
out of the systems that want to avoid bloat.

--
Bernd Stramm
bernd.str...@gmail.com