On Jun 18, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> … vs. grub2-mkconfig, which totally departs from any user customization
>>> in grub.cfg.
>>
>> It does not totally depart. It is merely (highly) not recommended to
>> directly edit that file.
>
> Running grub2-mkconfig automatically makes it not just "(highly) not
> recommended", but basically impossible: Any edits will be trashed at the
> next kernel update!

Which is why if grub-mkconfig is going to be used, the upstream prescribed
editing procedure needs to be used. If inadequate, the inadequacy needs to
addressed. As far as I'm aware, there is in fact no reason why you can't remove
grub2 and replace it with grub (legacy) if it has the exact behaviors you
prefer and require. I prefer GRUB2's self-produced grub.cfg's and I don't find
it overly difficult to get the customization I want – except for the fact
grubby steps on this, meaning I have to manually run grub-mkconfig to fix the
grub.cfg at each kernel update.

Chris Murphy