> Adam Williamson <awill...@redhat.com> writes:
> > On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 21:07 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> >> I disagree with that. Fedora releases had some small regression
> >> introduced via updates from time but is is *very* usable as a stable
> >> operating system.
>
> > I disagree. It's usable by the kind of people who use Fedora.
>
> Uh, no.  What you describe is usable by the kind of people who use
> rawhide.  Which is what, 1% of our user base?  If that.
>
> Abandoning any pretense of having stable releases will eliminate a huge
> fraction of the user community.  For sure it will eliminate *me*.  I'm
> not in the business of fighting OS bugs every single day, and I will not
> be forced into that business.  I have other things that I'm more
> productive at.
>
> I'm curious what you think package maintainers will do their package
> maintenance on, if there is no Fedora version that they can trust to
> still work tomorrow or the day after.  (Anyone up for porting fedpkg
> to Ubuntu?)
>
> I've seen a whole lot of user demand for *more* stable versions of
> Fedora.  I've seen none whatever for less stable versions.

Perhaps I ought to be more clear. I think we can maintain the level of
*actual* stability our current 'stable' releases provide with a model
such as I describe, while substantially reducing the amount of resources
we're wasting at least _theoretically_ maintaining up to four releases
at once (currently, 16, 17, 18 and 19). I think there's a lot of heat
and not much light going on there.

I would envisage that people like you and drago would run the 'stabler'
branch in my plan and be happy. The idea isn't to make Fedora less
stable than it already is, it's just to be more realistic. I would say
that our current process produces the level of stability that you and
drago are happy with, but we sometimes act as if it produces a level of
stability you could put in a box and sell to people, which it doesn't.

If you're using a Fedora release today you're _already_ fighting OS bugs
more often than most people do, I'd say. I disagree with drago's
assertion that my description was of people who use Rawhide. It was not
intended to be, and it was drawn from the experience of me and other
people who do not run Rawhide. I almost never run Rawhide, only
Branched.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey