On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:
> So, I have been thinking about rawhide.
>
> I agree identifying the problems/issues would be good, and I think
> there's something we can do to help with that:
>
> Get a nice group of at least 10 or so folks who are active on this list
> to agree to run it full time on their main machine.
>
> As we get close to F18 release, I am considering moving my full time
> laptop to rawhide. If I can get a group of folks to do likewise we can
> at least identify issues faster and help each other as they come up.
>
> Additionally, if some number of these folks who pledge to run rawhide
> full time were provenpackagers we could just go in and fix things as
> they hit (or soon after) instead of waiting a while for fixes to go
> out.
>
> I've run a rawhide vm/test machine here for many years. It's hit it's
> share of problems, but none were insurmountable. Some of them might
> have been for folks who were not more experienced tho, so increasing
> communication around rawhide can only help, IMHO.
>
> Additional thoughts to help rawhide:
>
> - It's been suggested before, but could we practically keep N and N-1
>   packages in rawhide repos? Then 'yum downgrade' becomes much more
>   handy. Repodata size and mirror size might shoot that down though.
>
> - Autoqa could perhaps help out, but I am not holding my breath. ;)
>
> - Anaconda folks haven't wanted rawhide installer images as they cause
>   people to report bugs on things when not ready, etc. However, could
>   we build nightly cloud images at least? Those could help test things
>   and won't require hitting the installer path.
>
> - I'm sure there's more ideas to improve it...
>
> I really think if we get a pool of savvy folks running it day to day we
> should at least be able to identify the pain points. In my experience
> with my test machine, rawhide has been pretty boring for the last two
> cycles, if we can continue to make it so, perhaps the rolling release
> folks might be able to find it usable.
>
> kevin
>
> --

I have two machines - an ancient workstation (Athlon64 X2 with 4 GB of
RAM) and a one-year-old laptop. I would certainly consider running
Rawhide on the workstation but no way am I running it on the laptop as
my *primary* partition.

That said, I am running F18 beta TC7 on both the workstation and the
laptop as my main distro now and everything seems to be fine. The
workstation still has a Beefy Miracle partition but I haven't used it
in over a week and I'll most likely blow it away. Perhaps I can put
Rawhide on it if it will help the efforts for F18.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench:

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?