On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
>> Matthew Miller (mat...@fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> I'm a little lost in the thread, but do you mean that yum's protected
>>> packages functionality is undocumented? If that is what you mean, check
>>> the man page. It says:
>>>
>>>   protected_packages  This  is  a list of packages that yum should
>>>   never completely remove. They are  protected  via  Obsoletes  as
>>>   well as user/plugin removals.
>>>
>>>   The  default  is:  yum  glob:/etc/yum/protected.d/*.conf  So any
>>>   packages which should be protected can do so by including a file
>>>   in /etc/yum/protected.d with their package name in it.
>>>
>>>   Also  if  this  configuration  is set to anything, then yum will
>>>   protect the package corresponding to the running version of  the
>>>   kernel.
>>
>> While documented, I do find this last bit of behavior extremely odd and
>> non-intuitive. (And hardcoded, no less.)
>
> There should just be a separate protect_running_kernel boolean option, which
> would default to the above odd behavior for compatibility if not set (but
> explicitly setting it to either 1 or 0 would override that either way).

Can't the kernel package itself do that ?

I'm thinking about the %preun section (maybe %pretrans ?) where the
package would know it's being removed, and could find out whether it's
the running kernel.

One might also want to build a distribution on top of yum/rpm but
choose a different name for the kernel package like "linux" or
"linux-kernel".

Dridi