On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 16:47 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 12 September 2014 16:16, Nathanael d. Noblet <nathan...@gnat.ca> wrote:
> > Yeah, I almost never use the reboot & install method. 90% of the
> > packages being installed/updated seem foolish to need a reboot to
> > update.
>
> I've been called worse that foolish I guess...
>
> > I typically do a yum update manually and then if I notice
> > glibc/kernel/systemd or other big packages do a reboot.
>
> That's just not safe. Have you ever had firefox open and done a
> firefox update? Widgets start disappearing, redraws start having weird
> artifects and then after a little while it just crashes. Other
> applications like LibreOffice behave the same. Anyone that says things
> like "the old version of the library stays in memory" obviously hasn't
> actually done much real-world GUI programming in the last decade, or
> runs any kind of secure desktop system. The *only* way to do this
> securely and safely in the system we have now is in a clean pre-boot
> environment, which is sad and crap UX, but still nevertheless true.
> When we have application sandboxing and a stable OS platform to use,
> we can certainly do something more sane, but until then we're just
> hacking around the problem.

So I don't use Firefox anymore but I do know back in the day if we had
FF open when we updated it would do a double request for each page/form.
However when updating we just restarted FF and it would work fine after
that. I've never noticed any other issues than FF but like I said I
don't use it anymore.

Granted that doesn't matter obviously we don't want that kind of
behaviour.

I am curious though. Everyone says the only way to do it securely and
safely is with nothing running. Why can't updates be applied with stuff
running prior to a reboot?