On 09/15/2014 10:57 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Every of the script is based on assumption that you already read some
library/unit whatever. But that is not enough. I wonder how you want to
detect that you need restart in case that I have something like this:

$ ls
foo.rb
bar.rb

$ cat foo.rb

def some_function
   require 'bar'
end

And now

1) I run some application, which loads my foo.rb file.
2) I later update the package which removes bar.rb file.
3) And I call some_function which fails due to missing bar.rb

Indeed, would foo.rb and bar.rb comes from different packages, then there is
really no way.

There is no universal and reliable way how to detect this scenario IMO.

Well, if you are operator of nuclear power plant, then I understand the need of
reboot after each upgrade.

But *I* do not want to reboot after each upgrade. Those crashes will be 0.00001% of all crashes on my workstation, which is less PITA than rebooting because I upgraded 'foo-doc' package.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS