You want a dirtier trick for benchmarks ... Here it is ...

Implement a compression like algorithm based on checksum. The data- type engine can compute a checksum for each fragment and if the checksum match one in the peer [limitted] history (so we can claim our communication protocol is adaptive), then we replace the actual message content with the matched id in the common history. Checksums are fairly cheap, lookup in a balanced tree is cheap too, so we will end up with a lot of improvement (as instead of sending a full fragment we will end-up sending one int). Based on the way most of the benchmarks initialize the user data (when they don't everything is mostly 0), this trick might work on all cases for the benchmarks ... But don't complain if your Linpack run fails.

  george.