I believe Karol's patch in the original mail in this thread adds the
appropriate headers for openpty to be resolved when --enable-picky is
supplied.  Without --enable-picky, it's able to resolve it too, as the
code is.  However, even if it compiles, the call to kevent (line 177
of opal/event/kqueue.c) still hangs, so this is more of the mystery...

Would giving you access to a FreeBSD 7 machine be useful?  Contact me
off the list, if so and we'll try to sort something out.  Or if you
have any patches/suggestions you'd like to try to fix this, I could
run them myself and let you know.

Thanks,
brad