I think you said opposite things: Lenny's command line did not specifically ask for ibcm, but it was used anyway. Lenny -- did you explicitly request it somewhere else (e.g., env var or MCA param file)?

I suspect that you did not; I suspect (without looking at the code again) that ibcm tried to select itself and failed on the ibcm_listen() call, so it fell back to oob. This might have to be another workaround in OMPI, perhaps something like this:

if (ibcm_listen() fails)
   if (ibcm explicitly requested)
       print_warning()
   fail to use ibcm