I think you got it right. And I think we're pretty good in terms of BTL usage of ORTE and OPAL (to include the new "notifier" service that Ralph put in recently -- what the FTB will likely eventually use, I think...?); those interfaces and abstraction barriers are technologically enforced. If you break the abstractions, the linker will swiftly and unmercifully punish you. (this was exactly [one of] the rationale that we used for splitting the code base into OPAL, ORTE, and OMPI several years ago)

Greg has already noted on the wiki a few constants used in the BTL's that have an OMPI_ prefix that aren't really OMPI values (e.g., OMPI_ENABLE_HETEROGENEOUS_SUPPORT). These come from configure (i.e., opal/include/opal_config.h) and were not renamed back when we split the code base into OPAL, ORTE, and OMPI. I don't think we had a strong reason for not renaming them -- most could probably be renamed to OPAL_* -- we just didn't do it then. Perhaps they can be changed during the BTL extraction process (I noted this on the wiki).