I guess you lost me on this one. How are the btl's going to push an error "up" to a higher layer? The errors could contain an arbitrary amount of information in them. Since the btl API's currently only return ints, are you proposing that we change all the btl APIs to include a new error structure so we can pass detailed error information back to the caller?

Then the MPI layer would have to call the orte_notifier with the appropriate info, since the MPI layer doesn't have the necessary communications infrastructure itself to perform the required functions. This would mean that every place that calls the BTL's would have to deal with the new API and returned error structure, and call orte_notifier if an error was reported.

Seems like this would proliferate quickly, while having the error reporting mechanism right where the error occurs represents the minimal impact and maximum flexibility.