On 6/21/2012 6:38 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
On Jun 21, 2012, at 6:11 AM, TERRY DONTJE wrote:

As far as I understand it is not reason to rename it. The OFED-lovin components
should look at $with_openib.

I agree with Pasha that the reason you give for renaming openib btl seem
orthogonal to renaming the btl.
Note that I'm not talking about renaming the BTL (*).

I'm only talking about renaming --with-openib to --with-<something_else>  (see
below).
So you specify --with-ofed and you get mca_btl_openib generated? ICK!!! I think that will just make things more confusing. I am against this unless you change the btl name.
I don't like the ofed name because isn't "ofed" the name of the standards body
and not the protocol being used?  I'd be in favor of renaming the btl ibverbs after the
library the btl accesses.  However isn't this btl (and the underlying library) used with
networks other than IB?
Yes, it is used with at least 2 flavors of Ethernet networks, too -- that's why I shied away from
anything with "ib" in the name.  But "verbs" is another possibility.  Here's
some options:

1. --with-ofed
   +++ Everyone recognizes the name
   --- OFED refers to a specific software package; the name is not accurate

2. --with-of
   --- "of" could mean anything; seems too generic

3. --with-openfabrics
   +++ Explicit, obvious as to what it is for
   --- A little long, but who cares?

4. --with-verbs
   +++ A little shorter than "openfabrics"
   --- A little generic of a name; not as specific as "openfabrics"

I'm personally gravitating towards --with-openfabrics.

(*) Although renaming the openib BTL would certainly be nice, that can be a different
effort.  It would definitely need some additional "synonym" work in the MCA for
backwards compatibility during 1.7/1.8, though.  To be clear: this email thread is NOT
about renaming the openib BTL.

Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
Email terry.don...@oracle.com <mailto:terry.don...@oracle.com>