I have mixed thoughts on this request. We have a policy of only including
things in the code base that are of general utility - i.e., that should be
generally distributed across the community. This component is only applicable
to ORNL, and it would therefore seem more sensible to have it continue to be
maintained there.

I'm unaware of anyone outside of ORNL that regularly tests for ompi-rte
abstraction violations, and I suspect that your internal tests are the right
place for catching them as nobody else really seems to care. It isn't clear to
me how adding this component directly to the general code base impacts that
operation. The original PMI component in the ompi/rte framework wasn't intended
to provide an alternative method for building OMPI - it was solely created to
support the development of that framework and had no intended utility beyond
that time (hence the RFC to remove it to avoid user confusion as we just saw on
the user mailing list).