On 06-Nov-13 13:33, Roberto Colistete Jr. wrote:
> 1st Jolla smartphone I expect to be 4-6 times the speed of Nokia N9.

... and all of that still doesn't address the crux of problem:

Desktop-style Linux distros rely on having to have all the data LOCALLY and doing the dependency resolution on the HOST machine.

That is completely unnecessary and pure overhead in all of storage/RAM/CPU/network aspects.

The classic Linux package dependency model is built for the scenario where the resource abundance is on the client side, and server resources are scarce (hence the "dumb file repo" approach). In a mobile context it's just the opposite - the resource challenge is on the client side, and the abundance shifted to the server side.

As for the actual speed comparison - there is no need to expect, we should be able to guess that pretty well. Unless something changed recently, only a single core is used for packaging/dependency resolution purposes. The N9 was a 1GHz Cortex A8. 1st Jolla is a 1.4GHz Snapdragon - I don't know the generation, but it's probably a Krait. An A8 is ~2 DMIPS/MHz, Kraits are ~3.3, which means the JollaPhone is ~2.5 times faster than the N9 for this purpose (not counting memory/flash bandwidth, etc). Oddly enough they have the same amount of memory (which I personally find to the be the Achilles heel of the Jolla device in the context of a "heavy multitasker").

     No need of Nexus 5 hardware. Almost all smartphones are current
dual core and some quad core, all > 1.0 GHz each core. The CPU of the

That's a very western tech-heavy view. Most of the world runs smartphones a lot more modest than that (why do you think Gingerbread refuses to die?). Smartphones are not getting faster as much as they are getting cheaper. Single core ARM11 smartphone devices didn't disappear - they just went to different markets.

     And Mer/Nemo Mobile/Sailfish don't use .deb, but .rpm packages.

Most of the overhead problems are unrelated to whether the package format is deb or rpm, they are just different kinds of dinosaurs in this context.

Best regards,
Attila Csipa