I support packages with the option to use dependencies in mobile OS :
- about Sailfish OS, I feel managing RPM packages is faster than than DEB packages; - current (2013) smartphones are fast (dual or quad core @ > 1,0 GHz, fast flash memory, etc), equivalent to low cost net/notebooks some years ago, so it is not a problem to have repositories with thousands of packages; - one great advantage of GNU Linux mobile OS (Maemo, MeeGo, Mer/Nemo Mobile, Sailfish, etc) is the availability of thousands of libraries ported from desktop Linux developed, e.g., we can have a software with GUI made with 500 QML lines of source code using a library (with 200,000 C/C++ lines of source code, developed after 15 years by thousands of developers) as dependency; - if some developer wants to include dependencies in its rpm package, yes, it can, it has this freedom.

As I've read today, we can submit .rpm packages using dependencies from Mer/Nemo Mobile repositories, only Jolla Harbour doesn't host dependencies itself. So it is just a matter of the community support Mer/Nemo Mobile to include desired libraries, tools, etc. And/or use OpenRepos so each developer has its needed dependencies.

    So let us start submitting our Sailfish softwares, sailors !

        Best regards,

        Roberto