Maybe make the application download the map on the first run?
But you must be able to provide the maps on a server in this case.

The additional benefit is that the user can skip downloading the data
if he knows it will not use it.

Luciano

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Wim de Vries <wsvr...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am converting my aircraft navigation app to Sailfish.
> It comes (default) with OpenStreet based maps + 3D data files of Western
> Europe (in RPM).
> Most users will use this map, but some users may use their home made maps
> (generated by a PC application).
> In the latter case, the users will delete this W-Europe map (it takes up
> quite some disk space).
> So far so good, but the installation/RPM is a problem:
>
> Harbour says that I should install the app data (very much bytes for the
> W-Eu map) in /usr/share/$NAME and in the first run of the app, copy them to
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/$NAME.
> But  now I am stuck with an enormous amount of (useless) data in
> /usr/share/$NAME that cannot be removed.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams