> On 14.6.2016, at 21:30, Kees Bakker <k...@sodaq.com> wrote:
>
> On 13-06-16 22:39, Peter Kietzmann wrote:
>>
>> # define the cpu used by SAMR21 Xplained Pro board
>> export CPU = samd21
>> export CPU_MODEL = samr21x18a

> If you ask me, I'd say that already a lot of files from cpu/samd21/periph can
> be moved to cpu/sam21_common.

> I don't care too much how the CPU is called. But maybe it is useful to know
> which CPU variant
> it is, like SAMD21J18A.

Hi, I'm piping in from the sidelines

The silicon vendors group their soc families with mcu families and board
families, making all this somewhat complex. I'd like to reflect this grouping
with the naming and grouping in RIOT.

The boards have pretty little in common as boards but they are deeply related
via the mcu and/or soc families. This does not need have any automation as the
board level peripherals can be individually configured in the board definitions
and just needs to follow the vendor naming scheme to identify the boards.

Soc and mcu family relations and naming schemes should be respected as well.
The relationships do not need to be elaborately reflected in build automation
as just following the naming schemes is enough to tell the reader how they are
related.

So basically I'm suggesting a little less automation with more rigor in
following the already named names and not renaming existing things with our own
naming schemes. Definitely we need some automation but as RIOT is written for a
compiler not a build toolkit we should keep the external to source complexity
minimal and easy to follow for fresh readers ie. new porters.

I'm personally more familiar with ST and their Nucleo64 family of boards and
STM32 family of MCU, so I cannot suggest anything specific detail for this
particular discussion.

 - t