On 30 Jan 2017, at 18:03, Kaspar Schleiser <kas...@schleiser.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On 01/30/2017 05:28 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>>> Are you aware that ethos basically does the same as slipmux?
>>
>> No, I wasn’t aware that it proposes to replace the unstructured “shell”
>> interface with CoAP.
>
> Well, actually it doesn't. It just allows to multiplex different
> channels over one serial interface, currently ethernet and a serial stream.

Right, in that sense it is similar to slipmux )except that we focused on IP
packets instead of Ethernet packets — not yet sure why you’d want to do the
latter).

>> But maybe adding an Ethernet frame encapsulation to slipmux would be a good
>> thing.
>> Beyond ICN, what are the applications for Ethernet frame encapsulation over
>> serial?
>
> It provides a simple method to get networking between a node connected
> via serial and the host box. CoAP can then be done on top (with probably
> IPv6 in between).

The point of doing CoAP over serial, with no IP in between, is that you can use
it to configure the node, including IP.
(There is nothing in slipmux that would stop you from also doing CoAP over IP,
of course, but the latter is not useful for initial basic node configuration,
and IP may also get in the way of certain management and diagnostic operations
that CoAP over serial would do well.)

Grüße, Carsten