Hi Alex!

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 10:43:05PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 09:45:25PM +0200, Oleg Hahm wrote:
> > Using at86rf2xx's extended operating mode allows you to figure out if an ACK
> > was received or not, but not all models allows you to read if and how many
> > retransmissions were necessary.
>
> Question here is:
>
> Is "how many retransmissions were necessary" is a required information
> for IEEE 802.15.4 MLME-ops? If so, then the transceiver hardware has a
> lack of support to implement IEEE 802.15.4, if not then this is some
> "extra" feature. Not sure if this information is required. Required
> information for some MLME-ops is if finally there was an ACK or NOT, no
> matter how many retransmissions was involved.

Hm, you can still use the base operation mode and implement "everything"
(i.e., ACK handling, retransmissions etc.) yourself. Hence, the transceiver
hardware is capable - it's just a matter of implementation comfort.

> Such "extra" feature could only be useful to check how reliable a peer
> is, maybe?.

True.

Cheers,
Oleg
--
printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: Thanks, I feel much better now!\n", dev->name);
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/net/de620.c