On 11/09/2021 19:59, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021, 9:41 AM Sebastian Huber <sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de <mailto:sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de>> wrote:

    A register block may be used to specify the memory-mapped interface to
    the hardware.  Register blocks consist of register block members.
    Register block members are either instances of registers or instances of
    other register blocks.  Registers consists of bit fields.

I hope you don't mean C bit fields. They are quite non-portable.

This register block specification is independent of an interface in a particular programming language. It is similar to a machine readable manual. From the register block specification you could generate code for C, C++, Rust, Ada, Python, and so on. Currently, there is only a C header file generator (which doesn't use C bit fields), for example:

https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/tree/bsps/include/grlib/gptimer-regs.h?h=qual-35

And I hope we are avoiding packed in this definition of requirements set.

What do you mean with "packed"?

Unfortunately it seems there are more things you can get wrong here which leads to negative requirements and negative requirements are bad

Sorry, what do you mean with "negative requirements" here?

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München