On 12/09/2021 03:32, Chris Johns wrote:
On 11/9/21 12:41 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
A register block may be used to specify the memory-mapped interface to
the hardware.  Register blocks consist of register block members.
Register block members are either instances of registers or instances of
other register blocks.  Registers consists of bit fields.

I feel this is for generation of headers of devices for drivers. Is this
correct?

Yes, see for example:

https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/tree/bsps/include/grlib/gptimer-regs.h?h=qual-35

What bus interface API you are considering mapping this specification too?

Since we don't have a bus interface API in RTEMS I used something simple:

https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/tree/bsps/sparc/include/grlib/io.h?h=qual-35

I do not know the purpose of this addition and the long term effect of this
being formalised like this.

The purpose is a machine readable specification of the hardware interfaces in terms of register blocks, registers, and bit fields.

I used a similar approach to generate the header files for the AArch32 and AArch64 system registers:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/score/cpu/arm/include/rtems/score/aarch32-system-registers.h

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/score/cpu/aarch64/include/rtems/score/aarch64-system-registers.h

This approach is not limited to memory mapped register blocks.

A machine readable hardware interface specification gives you a lot of flexibility. The labor intensive work is the first step, from a hand written manual to the specification items. If you have a better format in the future, it would be easy to convert the files with a small Python script.

Update #3715.

I could not see this topic in the list for that ticket. I prefer that list stays
as it is.

This register block specification format specification belongs to "Definition of data model and format actually used for the project".

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München