On 12/04/2022 10:22, gabriel.moy...@dlr.de wrote:
In general, the patch set lacks test cases.
I was thinking that the next step could be to add a generic device which is
required to use the API (a file descriptor is needed). This is
something that wanted to ask in the mailing list first. When this device is
added, also the test cases can be. Furthermore I wanted to
split the submitted changes in order to make a review easier.

A file descriptor should be optional. It should be possible to add a PPS driver
just using struct pps_state.

What do you mean with optional?

The RFC 2783 defines only a user API. For example for config the function
time_pps_setparams() is needed. If we don't follow the RFC 2783, we will need
to create an RTEMS API. Is that what you mean?

For the user API, using a file descriptor is fine.

I am referring to the PPS driver itself. It should just use struct pps_state. A PPS driver may register a device file which can be accessed by the user API. Providing a device file should be optional to be able to use PPS in applications which do not use a filesystem at all.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München