"running seL4 in a virtualized environment makes a huge amount
of sense for testing and debugging, or if one is shipping a virtual
appliance."

or running on top of any other standard OS... Those are latest news (April
17th):

"*Google and Mozilla on Tuesday announced security updates that address
more than 35 vulnerabilities in their browsers, including a dozen
high-severity flaws.*"

https://www.securityweek.com/chrome-124-firefox-125-patch-high-severity-vulnerabilities/

I'm not sure if people understands what is the scenario right now. This is
a Circus. Browsers are pathetic in terms of security. Too complex, too big,
too much JIT... too much interaction with Internet. The worst ever scenario
we could figure out, and this only gets worse every year as, instead of
simplifying the protocols we use for Internet, we make them more complex
(aka "more features"). So:

1) Let's forget the naive idea of users changing behavior or vendors making
secure software. Users are "ignorant" and vendors are unethical. That's raw
reality.
2) Let's forget about users using (wonderful) secure platforms (like
QubesOS) or... ups..., looks there's nothing else, as seL4 is aimed for
embedded world (right now)
3) Let's try to build solutions, far from perfect, but that improve
(current) real requirements security. In example, using seL4 integrated on
other (insecure) platforms.

The magic of seL4 is correctness. Anyway, this does not magically solves
the Universe problems. But keeps being correct.

There's no engineering limitation that avoids running seL4 on top of any
other OS using virtualization functionality. And besides unfounded non
engineering based facts, the reality is that an attacker will almost ALWAYS
(exceptions are exceptions by definition) prefer a scenarios where seL4 is
not present to the same scenario where seL4 is there. If anyone can prove
I'm wrong here, please correct me.

So, my proposal, is, of course, let's fight to try putting seL4  as close
as possible to the silicon and anywhere if possible, but... if not
possible, let's fight so put it somewhere else!

In example: we have a scenario with Host OS (with nested virtualization
enabled) ==> hypervisor XYZ ==> XYZ OS layer  ==> Clown Buggy Browser

we can convert this to:

Host OS (with nested virtualization enabled) ==> seL4 ==> XYZ OS layer  ==>
Clown Buggy Browser

As simple as this. In the last scenario is, by far, more complex (need to
exploit drivers, tcp/ip stack, "glue" software) to jump from "Clown Buggy
Browser" to "Host OS". And that's enough for me.

Moreover, in the last scenario, I can have:

Host OS (with nested virtualization enabled) ==> seL4 | ==> XYZ OS layer
==> Clown Buggy Browser (Work)

| ==> ABC OS layer  ==> Clown Buggy Browser (Fun)

| ==> ABC OS layer  ==> Clown Buggy RandomTrendyApp
Does it sound familiar to you guys...?

And yes, I obviously prefer Mediterranean food and:

MyPerfectSilicon (RISCV) ==> seL4 ==> Native seL4 Code == >  Clown Buggy
Browser/App

But this is not going to happen in the short term, so, meanwhile, I think
that it is not crazy to find half-way solutions to just be able to survive
this era.