On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 at 09:33, Andrew Warkentin <andreww...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really think the static Microkit/CAmkES type of architecture
> will ever be viable for desktops or self-hosting. Basically nobody's
> going to put up with rebooting into a different image for each
> application like an 80s-era home computer (if that's the kind of thing
> you meant by "bespoke seL4 images").

On the other hand, Microkit feels a bit like the image build systems used
by the EROS family, which could be used as dynamic systems.  Because the
systems were orthogonally persistent, the image generated was the /initial/
image for  the system, new objects would be saved to the image as if they
had been declared in the mki file.

You could also use these images as a sort of initrd, with enough features
available to bootstrap the rest of the system from disk.

--
William ML Leslie