On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:07:25PM -0700, patrick charles wrote:
>How would I communicate this? Somebody on XFree86 working with or have contact with
>the appropriate people in kernel/agpgart development?

First of all, how are you "killing" the X server?  I haven't seen this
behaviour when the X server exits normally, and I've done a lot of
testing where 32MB is allocated per run on machines with only 128MB of
physical memory.

There are people here familiar with the kernel agpgart driver.

Note that just because top shows that there's little memory free doesn't
mean that the agpgart driver isn't freeing it.  Also the agpgart driver
allocates physical pages, never swap.  I'm not sure what the symptoms
are when it can't get any free physical pages.  On my test system the
free memory indicated by top does go up when the X server exits, and
this is on an otherwise idle system.

So, I'd suggest starting a bare X server (run just 'X') on an otherwise
idle system, see what top reports, then exit it cleanly
(<Ctrl><Alt><Backspace>), and see if the free memory amount changes.
Check the X server log to confirm how much memory was allocated via the
agpgart mechanism (look for the lines containing "Allocated").

If that looks OK, then try the same thing you tried before but with a bare
X server and an idle system.

David
--
David Dawes
Release Engineer/Architect                      The XFree86 Project