On Wednesday 12 February 2003 10:20 pm, David Dawes wrote:

> >David,
> >
> >I ran some tests as you suggested. I started up a bare X server using the
> > command 'X' on an idle system. I then exited cleanly using ctrl-alt-bak.
> >
> >I recorded the amount of physical RAM free before and after the X start. I
> > repeated this process.
> >
> >After 13 iterations, the machine became very sluggish.
> >
> >After 16 iterations, the machine hung.
> >
> >Still looks like X (or, the agpgart driver?) is not freeing resources.
> >The machine gradually ran out of physical RAM.
>
> I just tried repeating this with what I think should be an even more
> demanding configuration: 845G system with 128MB physical memory, 1MB
> stolen memory (preallocated video memory), X configured to use 32MB
> video memory, so just over 31MB of physical memory needs to be allocated
> at each server start.
>
> After several iterations, I got to a pattern where the free memory
> after the server starts is 2MB, and the free memory when it exits is
> 41MB.  I went as far as 25 iterations without any change in this pattern
> and without any slowdown.
>
> This is with RH 7.3, using the default kernel plus an agpgart driver
> patched for correct 845G support.  The 2.4.20 kernel should already have
> the correct 845G agpgart support.
>
> The source for the agpgart driver I'm using can be found at
> <http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/intel-85x/agpgart-85x.tar.gz>, in case
> that makes a difference.
>
> David

Ok.

To simplify my environment, I did a fresh install of Red Hat 8.0.

I then installed kernel 2.4.20-2.21 and XFree86-4.2.99.3-20030115,
taken as RPM's from the RH81 'phoebe' beta, required for the i845 support.

So, I now have a 'clean' setup which doesn't contain any of the pieces which I
previously downloaded/built from various cvs repositories.

On this machine (which has quite a few services running since it is a default 8.0
workstation-type install), it only takes 6 restart iterations of X before the system
hangs.

I (unfortunately) have 4 of these brand new GX60 machines. I see the exact same
behavior on all of them.

Therefore, I don't think the problem is specific to a particular system. By using the
RH RPM's, also doesn't appear that the problem stems from something peculiar in my
build environment.

You tried on an i845G and can't reproduce, but you are using RH7.3?

Thanks again for your help.

ps. if you are interested in having a look at one of these GX60's, i could provide you
with a remote login w/ appropriate priv's.
i can stick one outside our firewall temporarily. send me an email.

thanks,
-pat