At 10:05 PM +0200 8/11/03, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 05:29, Alex Deucher wrote:
well, yeah... I only mention if in case anyone out there feels like
adding basic transparency support to a driver. the driver could then
register it's own version of the "Xtransparency" extension so that apps
that were "aware" could make use of it.

I'm not sure this is possible without the driver replacing significant parts of the core server code.

 I've thought about toying with it on radeon, but I don't know how to
 tickle the hardware to make it do that...

It looks like the 3D engine would have to be used, the 2D engine doesn't seem to do any blending (or scaling, for that matter).

One place that we could add this support rather easily is with Mac OS X's rootless mode. There are people writing Mac OS X-specific variants of X window managers that would like to use this kind of feature. In the past they've had to use custom hacks to the X server. If "XTransparency/XOpacity" became something closer to a defacto standard I would be interested in adopting it.

--Torrey