--- Thomas Winischhofer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a
écrit : > Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> >>That is strange. Without acceleration, I get
> >>
> >>9.7
> >>1.7
> >>2.3
> >>
> >>Seems imlib uses the video RAM.
> >
> > definitely not. imlib2 only uses system ram - all
> its buffers are a direct
> > result of malloc() :) imlib2 has no clue that
> video hardware exists :)
>
> In this case I must assume that the Debian package
> of imlib is compiled
> for i386 without any MMX/SSE/etc stuff...
>
> >>Yes, I can check the queue location anytime. But
> doing this before every
> >>accelerator command slows down the whole stuff
> dramatically.
> >
> > hmm- so theres no simple counter? maybe every N
> commands do a "sync" and find
> > out where your'e up to (or ever N seconds -
> whichever comes first) ? :
>
> That's in about what I do at the moment. Reading the
> counter is slow,
> because it's (of course) MMIO. I check the counter
> at every quarter
> boundary of the queue length. And I don't sync, but
> wait until the
> counter is outside of the quarter of the queue I am
> about to write to.
> That's the (by far) fastest method I have found so
> far.
>
> > but that doesn't mean x can't have
> mmx/sse/sse2/altivec routines to - it really
> > isnt that much code. you only replace the core
> loop of the most common
> > operations. comapred to x's current size - this is
> NOTHING. :)
>
> Deciding this is up to the people maintaining the
> XAA/whatever code...
> :) - and they won't be especially keen to play with
> this, thinking of
> the numerous platforms X is supposed to run on...

Sorry to pop up at the middle of the thread ;-)
But could this be done for a few key functions putting
them all in one source file with the awkward ifdef
depending on archs?
This could be a real performance win with only the
cost of a few well determined small functions with
(awkward) ifdef for archs. The trade off seems
worthwhile, especially because you can already borrow
the code from existing libs like imlib2 or others.
I'm saying that without knowledge of the code in
question though ;-)
Bye
Manu