emmanuel ALLAUD wrote:
Perhaps one of the problem of that approach is : if
the user booted up with all things alredy plugged in
how do we get all the devices IDs we need?
Moreover the lookup table and the parser can be quite
hairy but in a first try we can just do something
really simplistic, and complicate that after (this
would be more user friendly as X would be smarter and
would not bother the user because he did not recognize
her device)

We'll need a driver manager(tm) that will, when X comes up, forms an inventory of plugged in hardware. Under Linux, this means scanning through the procfs (or sysfs) "bus" directory trees. (Of course, it won't know about those pesky RS-232 based devices!) This manager would also respond to hotplug events.

--
Bryan W. Headley - [EMAIL PROTECTED]