Bryan W. Headley writes:
 > Egbert Eich wrote:
 > > Bryan W. Headley writes:
 > >  > Egbert Eich wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > >
 > >  > > As you said a HID device is more or less unidirectional. Therefore
 > >  > > you won't be able to detect from the device interface that something
 > >  > > is wrong. The HID interface itself would have to provide QoS.
 > >  > > Anyway QoS would not be part of XI but would be implemented in the
 > >  > > HW messaging extension.
 > >  > >
 > >  >
 > >  > Under Linux it is. Under BSD and Solaris (I think), you have read/write
 > >  > to USB devices.
 > >  >
 > >  > But if you do a read() from the device and the syscall errors out,
 > >  > that's an issue the X Driver can report. If the X driver expects
 > >  > relative coordinates but for some reason is receiving absolute
 > >  > coordinates, that's reason to issue a report.
 > >
 > > Are you sure?
 > > We'd have to check why the read would error out. It would do so
 > > if the device was closed because it was removed. That's a normal
 > > event when a device is hot pluggable. If XI supports removing of
 > > devices it would just notify the XClient of the removal.
 > > The coordinate issue is a device - driver compatibility problem.
 > > Do we want to report this to the client, or is it sufficient to
 > > tell the user about the problem in the log file.
 >
 > It *could* be a hotplug issue. But assume it's not: is it worth issuing
 > a message somewhere? You say yes, because you'd put it in a log file
 > somewhere. I agree, but think that giving the message the opportunity to
 > pop up on a driver message monitoring app to be more enterprise friendly.

One could argue that any serious condition that is reported in the log
should also get reported by to interested clients. So far XFree86
doesn't know many such events. Most error conditons happen during
startup where you have no option but to log them.

 > My problem with log files is that they're generally put into a directory
 > only the administrator can read. You've just made the product more
 > expensive to support/maintain...

A lot of error conditions can only be fixed by the administrator.
Can you come up with a really good real life example?
I suppose 'Battery Low' would be one.

Egbert.