The other promising work besides MAS is an audio server project
called "Jack".

It is not clear it currently provides network transparency, but it
does boast low latency (required for telephony, teleconferencing and
gaming applications).

The other issue is getting good synchronization with the X server.

While the X server has had the XSync extension for a long time,
the operating system "hooks" to allow X to synchronize with
external events (e.g. vertical sync, sample clock of audio
streams, etc) have been absent in open source systems. XSync
was developed in the days of engineering workstations 10 years
ago, and was debugged with such kernel support.

Recently Alan Cox has done some work for Linux support of
vertical retrace (and potentially audio sources) to provide the
needed kernel hooks for the X server.  So a small project for
someone with time is now to hook up XSync with that kernel
support and/or implement similar support for other open source
systems.
                         - Jim

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 10:50, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> There have been several attempts.  The latest one, currently sponsored
> by X.org, is MAS - http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/
>
>          -Alan Coopersmith-         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>           Sun Microsystems, Inc.    -     Sun Software Group
>           User Experience Engineering: G11N: X Window System
>
> Fred Heitkamp wrote:
> > I was wondering.  Was there ever an effort to make a
> > network independent audio extension for X11? (forgive
> > my terminology if it's wrong.)  For example, if I am
> > logged on from a remote terminal and want to play an
> > MP3 from the distant machine on the remote terminal,
> > is this possible?  Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't
> > see one while googling.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > Error Loading Explorer.exe
> > You must reinstall Windows.