On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:09:54AM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> The other promising work besides MAS is an audio server project
> called "Jack".
>
> It is not clear it currently provides network transparency, but it
> does boast low latency (required for telephony, teleconferencing and
> gaming applications).

No, jack is intended for apps with much stricter performance
requirements - low latency, sample synchronization, and realtime
transport.  These are pretty critical for pro audio work - recording,
production, soundtracking, overdubs, etc.

It's very doubtful it will ever work over conventional networks - timing
is just too critical to jack.

Now, a specially designed network with ADAT synchronization could work,
but I doubt anyone would want to port X11 to such a transport... ::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.