An audio server need not be designed to add latency (beyond
that of the network itself, of course).  With current networks,
this is very small, down to a few samples.

Existence proof is the AF audio server we did 10 years ago,
in which the server design itself did not enforce any latency: if
data arrived at the AF server before the sample had been
played (and the hardware permitted), it performed cut-through
and updated the samples immediately.

                                  - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>