Marc,

If `top` shows that the server is not entirely to blame for the CPU load,
see if turning on backing store has any effect.

CPU is idle - CPU is maxed out when moving windows swap memory is not used less than 50% of available phisical memory is used (both when moving and when not moving windows)

Is this a 3D app?

No. This happens with all X applcations. I'm testing using two XTerm windows and an empty desktop.

what is the meaning of this? <<see if turning on backing store has any effect>>

What else do you need to know?

Salvio