On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:19:17AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>I've been using the master cvsup server to mirror XFree86 to my
>workstation for about 2.5 years, but for the last week or so I am
>getting:
>
>    Server error: Authentication failed
>

>The message would seem to indicate that the server is up, but
>refusing authentication for some reason.
>
>Has something changed recently with how cvsup access to the
>repository is handled?  Any help appreciated.

See <http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/> for details about anoncvs/cvsup
access.  That information hasn't changed in a while, and since it
is a public access point, no authentication is required.  Worked
for me when I just tried it.

Hmm, maybe you are trying to connect to the old cvsup server that
used to exist for the old "closed" devel membership structure that
we abandoned in favour of this open forum early this year?  If
that's the problem, then changing your cvsup file according to the
information in the above-referenced web page should take care of
it.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project